Black-Eyed Peas & Potato Curry

Every time we visit the Indian grocery store, it feels like we’re stocking up for a big event. Our pantry is always filled with Indian essentials like lentils, beans, rice, and more. Despite this abundance, I often forget to cook beans unless my husband specifically requests a dish. Today, as I was checking the pantry and freezer, I discovered a big bag of black-eyed peas that I had almost forgotten about. I love black-eyed peas and wondered why I hadn’t used them sooner.




As I searched for other ingredients, I found a potato, a few onions, tomatoes, and some cilantro/coriander leaves. My initial plan was to make black-eyed peas pulao, so I started gathering my ingredients and began cooking. However, midway through the preparation, I realized I was out of salt! I had to scrape the last bit from the container, which made me rethink my plan. Instead of making pulao, I decided to prepare a black-eyed peas and potato curry with steamed rice. This turned out to be a great alternative and also made for a perfect lunchbox option for my husband the next day. The dish was similar to pulao, except I didn’t mix the rice with the curry because I didn’t have enough salt to add once combined.

Here’s how I made it:

Ingredients:

2 cups black-eyed peas (cooked and drained)
1 potato, diced into small cubes
1 large tomato, chopped
3 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
1 small piece of ginger, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
Whole spices: 2 cardamom pods, 4 cloves, 4 peppercorns, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp oil (or more as needed)
Salt to taste

Instructions:

Heat the oil in a wok, pot, or kadai. Add the cumin seeds and whole spices, allowing them to sizzle.

Add the onions, garlic, and ginger, and sauté until the onions turn golden brown.

Stir in the chopped tomatoes and 1 tbsp of cilantro, mixing well.

Add the dry spice powders and continue to cook until the tomatoes soften and can be mashed easily with the back of a spoon.

Add the diced potatoes along with 1 cup of hot water. Stir everything together, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender.

Once the potatoes are cooked, add the cooked and drained black-eyed peas. If you prefer more gravy, add additional water as needed. Mix well and adjust the salt.

Garnish the curry with the remaining cilantro.

This delicious curry pairs perfectly with steamed white rice or chapati/rotis.

Notes:

If you’re using dried black-eyed peas, soak them in water for at least 4-5 hours, then pressure cook for 1-2 whistles or until tender but not mushy.

You can also use canned or frozen black-eyed peas. If using these, add them directly after the potatoes; they will cook quickly in the curry.

For a creamier gravy, consider adding 1/2 cup of coconut milk, which works especially well when serving with rice or bread.

Post a Comment

0 Comments